Summary List Placement
Hello and welcome to Insider Advertising for April 19. I’m senior advertising reporter Lauren Johnson, and here’s what’s going on:
If this email was forwarded to you, sign up here for your daily insider’s guide to advertising and media.
- Some ad agency employees say some clients have been demanding faster responses and shorter turnaround in the pandemic, Lindsay Rittenhouse and Patrick Coffee reported.
- Some reported working up to 75 hours a week to keep up, and others have quit, citing burnout.
- But fear of layoffs and losing clients has made it hard for employees and agencies to push back.
Also read: Advertising confessions: 9 current and former staffers at companies like WPP and Publicis share stories of pandemic burnout
Netflix cancellations fell during the first quarter to their lowest level in 2 years, exclusive web-tracking data suggests
- Netflix made big subscriber gains amid the pandemic, and new data suggests it’s retaining customers, Ashley Rodriguez reported.
- Visits to Netflix’s cancellation page fell in the first three months of 2021, SimilarWeb found.
- Netflix reports earnings for the first quarter of 2021 on Tuesday.
- New data reveals the most talked about brands on Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube in 2020, Sydney Bradley reported.
- Influencer-marketing platform HypeAuditor analyzed 12 million Instagram accounts, 4.5 million YouTube channels, and 5.2 million TikTok accounts throughout 2020.
- Shein, Netflix, and Fashion Nova came out on top.
More stories we’re reading:
- About a dozen OAN employees have quit in recent months as some staffers don’t believe the stories run on air, report says (Insider)
- Law firms, recruiters, and marketers dish on how they’re gearing up for a gold rush from New York’s blockbuster move to legalize cannabis (Insider)
- Startup founders, VCs, and lawyers open up about the dark world of dirty term sheets, where shrewd investors screw them over (Insider)
- Snapchat has become an on-demand delivery app for teens to score illegal drugs. Some kids are dying after taking one pill. (Insider)
- Facebook plans to go after Clubhouse — and podcasts — with a suite of new audio products (Vox)
- ABC News scrambles to fill top producer slot at ‘Good Morning America’ (Variety)
- The Oscars are a week away, but how many will watch? (New York Times)
Need Your Help Today. Your $1 can change life.