- Insider is rounding up people moves in venture capital for a new weekly column.
- Peter Boyce II has left General Catalyst to spin up a $40 million debut fund at Stellation Capital.
- Lightspeed has hired Stripe executive Justin Overdorff to lead its fintech practice.
- See more stories on Insider’s business page.
- Jack Randall is a free agent. He joined Day One Ventures, the firm led by Masha Drokova, last fall from Robinhood, where he was the 12th employee and became head of communications. Randall says he left Day One in December, which has not been previously reported, and is doing advising and angel investing from Austin.
- Peter Boyce II is riding the wave of solo capitalists with a new firm called Stellation Capital. He plans to raise an eye-popping $40 million for his debut fund, according to a regulatory filing, first reported by TechCrunch. Boyce arrived at General Catalyst straight out of Harvard eight years ago and helped plant the firm’s flag in New York.
- Lightspeed Venture Partners is beefing up its fintech practice with the hire of partner Justin Overdorff, an angel investor and a former top executive at Stripe and Yelp. He’s based in New York, where he will likely go toe-to-toe with Andreessen Horowitz’s new fintech-focused investor, David Haber, for access to deals. In a blog post, Lightspeed said Overdorff’s speciality is “taking on the big hairy problems no one else is willing to tackle.”
—Eric Reiner (@ericmreiner) July 7, 2021
- A bunch of investors at New Enterprise Associates are moving up at the $24 billion venture firm.
- Tony Florence has been promoted to managing general partner of the technology practice. He is one of the firm’s longest-serving employees and led notable investments like Jet.com, Care.com, Duolingo, and Snap.
- Mohamad Makhzoumi is now managing general partner of NEA’s healthcare practice. Makhzoumi’s tenure began 16 years ago, and he serves on numberous boards including Collective Health, Nuvolo and Strive Health.
- On the healthcare team, the firm also promoted Tak Cheung and Matt McAviney to partner roles. Tiffany Le, who joined the firm just last year as an associate, was promoted to senior associate on that team.
- The technology team’s Andrew Shoen was named partner and Jess Ou became a senior associate.
- GitHub’s CTO Jason Warner has made the leap to venture capital at Redpoint. For years, as an employee at a startup backed by Redpoint, he was vetting companies like HashiCorp that partner Scott Raney sent him for his feedback. So when Warner was ready to make investing his full-time job, he gave Raney a call, Forbes reported.
—Jason Warner (@jasoncwarner) July 8, 2021
- Kelly Kopchik Goldstein is leaving Harlem Capital to build the venture capital arm of Digital Currency Group, parent company of five cryptocurrency businesses including CoinDesk and Genesis. Goldstein tweeted that she pictured herself at Harlem forever, but her deep belief in cryptocurrency’s potential convinced her to move.
Need Your Help Today. Your $1 can change life.