Bride-to-be left stranded when wedding car breaks down on motorway

A bride whose car broke down on the way to her wedding venue made it down the aisle in the end thanks to police.

29-year-old Lydia Evans-Hughes was travelling in the vintage car when it suddenly spluttered to a halt on the A55 just outside Chester on August 27.

The bride – wearing a traditional white gown – and her parents, Yvette and Alan, were left stranded at the side of the road wondering if they would completely miss the ceremony, reports Liverpool Echo.

Lydia stated: “I was staying at the reception venue the night before.

“But when the car pulled off from there it was fine for the first five miles – then it just gave up the ghost.

“I was worried I’d have to climb over the crash barrier and be left stood at the side of the road.”

However, thanks to North Wales Police, her blushes were spared when traffic officers and Inspector Matt Geddes offered his services.

Lydia said: “They saw it was a wedding car and offered us a lift. That was the first time in the day that I had tears of relief.”

Adding: “He asked how much of an entrance we wanted to make and my dad said a big one so he put on the blues and twos.

“Because of how fast it all happened and how promptly they turned up I wasn’t very late at all – you couldn’t have planned it better.

“I’m just incredibly happy. All in all it did go brilliantly.”

Matt Geddes, helped by traffic officers, spared the bride’s blushes when he took them to the destination in his police car

Lydia and partner Tidur Evans-Hughes, 31, were then able to say ‘I do’ in front of family and friends at St Mary’s Church in Eccleston, Cheshire.

The happy couple had already had their wedding delayed twice due to the Covid pandemic and were hoping it would be third time lucky.

Lydia added: “We were due to get married in June last year but it was delayed because of Covid, then in May this year but that got pushed back too.

“The fact we were finally able to have our day and everyone was able to be there is just priceless. It was such a lovely ending.

“The most incredible and sincere thanks to the police. Without them what would we have done?”

Lydia Evans-Hughes with husband Tidur on their wedding day
Lydia Evans-Hughes with husband Tidur on their wedding day

Insp Geddes, of North Wales Police, said: “I was glad to have been of help.

“The slightly unusual arrival brought about some smiles following what must have been a stressful situation, being stuck at the side of a busy A55 is not nice at the best of times.

“The bride looked beautiful, the sun was shining and she was only a little late.

“I hope the couple have a wonderful day and a long and happy life together.”

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.

Source link

Back to top button