A heartbroken dog owner described as ‘something out of a horror film’ the moment her puppy started bleeding from its eyes.
Chloe Smith had taken her 11-month-old Pocket Bulldog Sasha for a walk before the pup fell seriously ill a short time later and started vomiting.
The 22-year-old rushed Sasha to the vets for treatment, but there was nothing they could do and she was sadly put to sleep on Monday, November 22.
She said: “The first sign of it was she started to sleep more and she wasn’t coming out of bed as much. She was still eating and drinking.
“One day she had stopped eating, I took her to the vets and they said she’s coming into season and she’s not showing any signs of anything major.”
Over the next 24 hours, the puppy’s condition quickly deteriorated and she began vomiting and bleeding from her bottom.
After taking her back to the vets, Chloe said she was told the dog had been poisoned with a “high dose of rat poison.”
She believes the puppy must have been poisoned on a field near to the M53 in the Westminster area of Ellesmere Port, where she used to walk her everyday.
Chloe said: “We went to see her and she was bleeding from her eyes.
“She couldn’t even stand up then, all in a matter of 48 hours from being sleepy to bleeding from her eyes.
“The vet had never seen anything like it. She was shaking and her intestines were coming out with vomit – it was like something out of a horror film.
“[The vet] said they had never witnessed a poisoning so high in a dog.
“It’s just a heartache I’ve never experienced. It’s shattered everyone.”
Chloe has shared what happened to warn other dog owners.
Chloe said: “If you see signs or if your dog is doing anything out or the ordinary, even if it’s not anything serious seek attention for it.
“If your dogs are off the leads please watch them, don’t just let them run wild like dogs do.”
Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.