News

Families of Manchester Arena victims ‘disgusted’ after memorial site vandalised

The Glade of Light memorial is not due to officially open until the new year but trespassers have already broken in and entered the site, with some even vomiting and urinating on it

The Glade of Light memorial is not due to officially open until the new year

Families of the 22 people killed in the Manchester Arena terror attack have said they are “disgusted” after trespassers urinated and vomited on a memorial site for the victims.

The Glade of Light memorial is not due to officially open until the new year but trespassers have broken in and entered the site.

Some have even allegedly urinated on the site while there are traces of vomit too.

Caroline Curry, from South Shields, whose 19-year-old son Liam was killed in the bombing alongside his girlfriend, Chloe Rutherford, 17, said she was left devastated after seeing the trespassers had entered the site on Sunday.

Trespassers have entered the site and urinated on the memorial
(

Image:

JOHN MATHER/IMAGE VIEW)

Families say they have been left ‘disgusted’
(

Image:

JOHN MATHER/IMAGE VIEW)

Ms Curry said she found hundreds of people walking through the area, which is supposed to be closed to the public, including groups of youths openly smoking drugs.

Claire Brewster, from Sheffield, who lost her sister Kelly, 32, in the attack said she was also “devastated” to see people moving the fences to walk through the memorial.

Ms Curry and Ms Brewster say they spent hours at the site, trying to protect the memorial from the trespassers.

The mum of victim Liam Curry, pictured with girlfriend and victim Chloe Rutherford, says she was ‘disgusted’ at the trespassers
(

Image:

PA)

22 people were killed and hundreds more injured when Salman Abedi detonated a bomb at an Ariana Grande concert on May 22, 2017.

Manchester City Council reportedly responded to the BBC to say they would be sending a security team to protect the site until it could be investigated this week, but according to the victims’ families, no security guards were present and no one from the council appeared.

Councillor Pat Karney, the council’s city centre lead, said the council would investigate what happened to the memorial “as a matter of urgency”.

The 22 victims who died in the bombing
(

Image:

PA)

He added: “The whole area is covered by CCTV and if footage shows it was due to the deliberate actions of mindless thugs, rather than a problem with the fencing itself, we will pass this information on to the police.

“We utterly condemn this mindless and disrespectful behaviour and will not hesitate to take action against those involved.”

The council previously said the memorial is designed to be “a tranquil garden space for remembrance and reflection”. It will feature a “stone halo” centrepiece with the names of the victims of the attack and personalised memory capsules, with items provided by each victim’s families.

Read More

Read More




Source link

Back to top button