Man hurled vase at fiancée’s head after England lost the Euro 2020 final

Keith Page, 62, and his partner were set to marry at the end of July but when the England football team were defeated on penalties at Wembley, the former soldier exploded in anger

Keith Page
Keith Page

A fiancé hurled a vase at his bride-to-be’s head after England lost the Euro 2020 final to Italy.

Keith Page, 62, and his partner were set to marry at the end of July.

But just weeks before the big day, he started texting his victim saying he didn’t want to go through with the service.

And when the England football team were defeated on penalties at Wembley, the former soldier exploded in anger, Liverpool Echo reports.

She was left with a 5cm wound and pieces of ceramic embedded in her forehead, before he penned a bizarre note and later claimed he had intended to throw a cushion.

Liverpool Crown Court heard the 66-year-old victim was in a relationship with Page for eight years.

Liverpool Crown Court



Simon Duncan, prosecuting, said they lived together in Speke and “were actually due to get married at the end of July of this year”.

Mr Duncan said: “She commented in her statement that the defendant served in the Army and has post-traumatic stress disorder and can be violent.

“She says she has been on the receiving end of abuse from him in the past and of concern to her was the fact that prior to this incident, he had been drinking more.”

The prosecutor said on the evening of July 11 the victim was at home in bed and said she was “staying out of his way” because he had been drinking.

Mr Duncan said: “He was watching the Euros football final on television and during the course of that evening he sent her texts telling her he was not going to go through with the wedding or honeymoon.”

He said the victim didn’t respond, but “at the end of the match she heard the defendant shout at the TV”.

Mr Duncan added: “Of course, we all know the result.”

The prosecutor said: “He appeared on the landing outside the bedroom. She felt something hit her forehead and he entered the room.

“She reached for her phone to call the police but he snatched it from her hand. She felt blood dripping down her face.

“She pushed past the defendant and ran out of the house, minus her bottoms and minus any footwear, such was the state of her panic.”

The court heard a neighbour – who said the victim was “crying and shaking with fear” – took her to hospital and the police were called.

She had suffered a 5cm “full thickness” wound to her forehead, which was found to have “fragments of ceramic material” inside and was glued shut.

The Mirror’s newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sport updates and essential political information.

The newsletter is emailed out first thing every morning, at 12noon and every evening.

Never miss a moment by signing up to our newsletter here.

The judge, Recorder Ian Unsworth, QC, said photos showed “a very visible scar” starting “just beneath the hairline” and going down to “a short distance above her eyebrows”.

Page was arrested on July 12, when during a search of his home a handwritten note was discovered.

The court heard Page wrote: “Life is over, can’t stop here. I hurt you by tossing a cup at you. I’ve decided to walk. See you on the dark side of the moon. Good luck in life.”

Mr Duncan said it was now known he in fact threw a vase, which was found shattered in the bedroom by police.

Page gave a no comment interview, but later admitted assault causing actual bodily harm.

Recorder Unsworth said Page initially entered a basis of plea, which was rejected by the prosecution.

The judge said: “The defendant was asserting this was a reckless ricochet, that he intended to throw a cushion.”

Page later abandoned these claims and admitted he threw a vase.

The court heard his criminal record features a caution for battery in 2008, before he was convicted of that same offence in February 2012.

Callum Ross, defending, said this was a pilot scheme in the Liverpool area, involving one-to-one activities with the NHS for 12 to 16 weeks, then monitoring for a 12-month period.

No report had been provided as requested by the judge and the victim was also not present at the sentencing hearing because of a medical issue.

Recorder Unsworth said given the seriousness of the case, and if he was being asked to consider sparing Page jail, then he needed to see the report.

The judge adjourned the case and granted Page bail, but said the fact he was doing so “shouldn’t be interpreted by him in any way”.  

Read More

Read More

Source link

Back to top button