News

Mum fell so ill from resort food on horror holiday she developed bowel condition

A mum who suffered through a horrendous holiday which saw her become so unwell that she was left with irritable bowel syndrome.

40-year-old Donna Chatfield fell ill during a two-week getaway in Egypt with her partner and daughter in August 2017.

Donna, from Huddersfield, had to seek medical attention abroad and when she returned to the UK, and has now been diagnosed with post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome, reports Yorkshire Live.

Donna believes that she caught the illness from the food and beverages at the hotel.

The travel agent has paid out £60,000 to families who sued them after taking ill during a stay at the Jaz Aquamarine resort between July and August 2017.

Lawyers representing 17 people fought for the compensation claim after they reported severe gastric illness symptoms, including diarrhoea, abdominal pains and headaches.

Donna, a probation services officer from Huddersfield said: “The illness was just horrific. We even tried to get an earlier flight home as we felt so unwell, but this was not permitted.

“This was the first time we had been this far abroad on holiday as a family, but it was just a nightmare.

“We spent most of our time in the room and didn’t get to enjoy the experience at all.

“Holidays are what I go to work for and this is the only one I’ve ever wanted to come home from. It was awful and I wouldn’t wish our experience on my worst enemy.”

Software developer David Long, 40, from Bristol, stayed at Jaz Aquamarine in August 2017 with his children Esme, five, and Jacob, nine.

All three of them developed illness symptoms including diarrhoea and abdominal pains, and they all needed medical attention abroad.

David, a software engineer, from Bristol, said: “It was an incredibly stressful time. While being ill was awful, it was particularly hard to see how it affected the kids.

“I’d been working away from home all year and wanted to make some real memories with my family, but the holiday proved to be memorable for all the wrong reasons.

David Long with son Jacob, 9

“It genuinely feels like I paid a lot of money and then fell ill and that does not seem right. We got zero enjoyment from the holiday.

“We know nothing can make up for what happened to us but I want to ensure this will not happen to anyone else.”

Lawyers from Irwin Mitchell secured the compensation for families who had suffered illnesses at the popular resort, which boasts 17 swimming pools and a private beach.

But despite offering an all-inclusive option, Katie Mansbridge and her family opted to book restaurants and walk to the beach rather than swim in one of its pools.

Katie, from Liphook, Hants., stayed at the resort with with her husband Kurt, 53, and their children Callum, 17, and Joshua, 21.

They all of them developed symptoms including diarrhoea and abdominal pains and Katie says she is continuing to suffer the after-effects of the illness several years on.

She said: “We complained to staff at the resort a lot, but always felt they were just unhelpful.

“It even got to the point where we were trying to avoid getting ill. We booked restaurants instead of using buffets and went to the beach due to our concerns about the hotel pool.

“The illness was awful and it completely ruined the whole holiday. No family should have to face what we did and it is vital that lessons are learned from our experiences.”

Hannah Clifford, illness lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, said: “The first-hand accounts we’ve heard from families about how their holidays were ruined highlight the significant and lasting impact that gastric illnesses can have.

“These families saw their precious time abroad turned upside down by these problems, while some are continuing to suffer with ongoing issues as well.

“While nothing will change what has happened, we’re pleased to have secured these holidaymakers the compensation they deserve albeit without any admission of liability from TUI.

“It’s also vital that, where possible, lessons are learned from these types of cases so others don’t suffer similar issues in the future.

“The health and safety of holidaymakers should always come first at resorts.”

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.




Source link

Back to top button