News

Scots mum’s housing hell as disabled son scalded by boiling water from ceiling

The Scots mum of two severely disabled boys has told of her ‘hellish’ council flat after boiling water pouring from a ceiling allegedly scalded one of her children.

Kathleen Reid, who lives with autistic sons Paul, 7, and Jamie, 17, in a Dundee Kingsway East council property also claims the home has mould so bad it has caused the family to break out in rashes.

Kathleen said she has also suffered personal health issues as a result of the poor housing and has had to use inhalers, steroids and antibiotics.

The 47-year-old, who moved in to the property in 2017, has faced numerous problems with the home she says is plagued with damp and even has ‘human waste’ seeping down the walls.

The Reid family have had a number of struggles in the home

But the mum reached her breaking point when her eldest son suffered burns from water pouring from the bathroom ceiling while he was using the toilet.

Kathleen told the Record: “This house has been hell from the start.

“I started to notice the change in my health about a year after we moved in and had use inhalers. Now I’ve been on antibiotics and steroids for nearly two years.

“The boys and I have now all taken an allergic reaction to the mould which is on our walls. My skin is flaring up and I’m struggling to breathe.

Rubble covered the bathroom after the roof collapse
Rubble covered the bathroom after the roof collapse

“But at the start of November, at about 9.30pm one night, I heard these God-awful screams coming from the bathroom.

“My eldest Jamie, who is non verbal autistic, was screaming on the toilet as this burning hot water was coming down from the ceiling on to his head.

“Goodness knows what this must have felt like on his skin.”

She said waste water is leaking into the home
She said waste water is leaking into the home

But Kathleen said the family’s ordeal did not end there and just a few days later she suffered a head injury when the same ceiling collapsed, despite a tradesman coming out to assess the water damage.

She said: “The council got someone out after Jamie was burned and he managed to get the pouring water to stop but he said the roof looked like it was going to cave in.”

Kathleen added: “The next morning I went into the bathroom and the whole roof caved in on my head.

“My two boys had to pull me out of the rubble with my head split open.”

And just when Kathleen thought things couldn’t get any worse, she says the roof collapsed again while the family waited for repairs, this time with rubble falling on top of her youngest son, Paul.

Kathleen said: “The kids are now terrified to use the bathroom, they either pee in a bucket or running to the neighbours.”

Kathleen claims that despite numerous complaints to the council, the issues with the property have not been resolved.

Kathleen said the mould was making the family ill
Kathleen said the mould was making the family ill

Having just had major bowel surgery for a medical condition, she is now pleading with housing bosses to make the four-in-a-block home habitable .

She said: “I’ve been in touch with the council around 20 times.

“There is still water coming down into the home – some of it is yellow water which I’ve since found out is human waste.

“The council did send a plumber and joiner to inspect the property, but I still haven’t heard anything back.

“I have over 60 stitches from my operation, but still can’t use the bathroom safely.”

Kids have been left with rashes
Kids have been left with rashes

Mould covers the Dundee home
Mould covers the home

Anti-social behaviour reports have been made about the drug use
Anti-social behaviour reports have been made about the drug use

Kathleen claims that she has also contacted local MSP and housing minister Shona Robison on the matter.

She said: “By this stage we are just at the end of our rope with everything.

“My kids are just shells of what they were. We are only sleeping two or three hours a night.

“I’ve tried everything and feel like nobody is listening.”

Shona Robison MSP said: “Upon being made aware of the issues at my constituent’s property, I immediately contacted Dundee City Council to bring this matter to their attention and request that they urgently investigate the concerns raised and assist my constituent.

“I share my constituent’s concerns about the issues at their property and I am determined to ensure that Dundee City Council takes every possible step to resolve these as quickly as possible.

“I am continuing to follow up with the Council and will keep in touch with my constituent about this until the matter is fully resolved.”

Dundee City Council has been contacted for comment.

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.




Source link

Back to top button