News

Security “boosted” around England vs New Zealand ODI after ‘bomb threat’

Security has been increased around the third ODI between England and New Zealand “as a precaution”.

Fifth Test between England and India cancelled over Covid-19 fears

Security around the third ODI between England and New Zealand ‘s women has been “boosted” after the ECB received a “threatening email relating to NZC”.

In a statement, New Zealand Cricket said the threat was “treated seriously, investigated, and deemed not credible”.

As a result, the game will go ahead, but security around the team has been increased “as a precaution”.

According to ESPNcricinfo, New Zealand received a bomb threat, with the team hotel and their return flight threatened.

The team is then said to have gone into lockdown, with police and counter-terrorism called in to investigate.

A statement from New Zealand read: “The ECB have received a threatening email relating to NZC.



Security has been increased around the third ODI between England and New Zealand “as a precaution”
(

Image:

Alex Davidson/Getty Images)




“Although this did not specifically reference the White Ferns it was treated seriously, investigated, and deemed not credible.

“The White Ferns have now arrived in Leicester and, as a precaution, security around them has been boosted.

“Reports their training has been cancelled are false. They were not scheduled to train today as it was a travelling day. NZC will not be commenting further on the matter.”

England are currently 2-0 up in the series, having won the first ODI by 30 runs and the second by 13.



It has been reported that New Zealand received a bomb threat, which was later found to be “not credible”
(

Image:

Alex Davidson/Getty Images)




Last week, New Zealand’s men called off their tour of Pakistan, having been warned of a “specific and credible threat against the team”.

On Monday, England followed suit, cancelling their joint men and women’s tour, which was scheduled to take place next month.

In a statement, the ECB cited “increasing concerns about travelling to the region” and “the mental and physical well-being of our players and support staff” as the reasons behind the decision.









Pakistan were incensed by the ECB’s decision, with PCB chairman Ramiz Raja telling the BBC World Service: “It’s absurd. We have gone out of our way to accommodate international sides.

“I’m extremely disappointed and so are the fans. Right now, we needed England. It’s a small cricket fraternity that we have.

“We were expecting England to be a little bit more responsible. We are hurt, but forward we shall move.”




Source link

Back to top button