News

Wedding and sweet sixteen guests evacuated from scots hotel after chemical leak

Guests at a sweet sixteenth and a wedding were amongst scores of people evacuated from a luxury Scots hotel this evening after a chemical gas leak.

Emergency services raced to McDonald Inchyra Hotel and Spa in Grangemouth around 7.30pm on Sunday after the alarm was raised by staff.

A major multi-agency response remains in the area with the road to the hotel and part of the venue currently taped off.

A major emergency response was sparked

Guests were quickly evacuated by staff and moved to the car park before they were allowed to enter the other side of the hotel some time later.

A senior police constable then arrived and confirmed there had been a chemical gas leak of chlorine at the pool as first responders urged anyone who had used the leisure facilities to come forward for treatment.

Kyle Mclachlan was the DJ at a 16th birthday party taking place at one of the smaller suites.

He told the Record the party was evacuated one minute into the first song of the night as the fire alarm blared during Joel Corry’s Sorry.

Wedding and sweet sixteen guests evacuated from scots hotel after chemical leak
Police have taped off the road leading to the hotel

The 25-year-old said: “The guests arrived at 7pm and then around 7.15pm I made my usual safety announcement on Covid rules and I pointed out all the fire exits in the case of a fire alarm.

“I put the first song of the night on to start the party and within one minute the fire alarm started going off.

“The staff were very fast to respond and get everyone out of the room.

“The guests were all taken out to the car park – there was also a wedding on – and we were all moved to the back of the carpark for safety reasons.

“Within 15-20 minutes two fire engines arrived and then police came and started putting cordons and take up.”

Wedding and sweet sixteen guests evacuated from scots hotel after chemical leak
Guests were quickly evacuated and left in the carpark

Kyle continued: “The chief of police arrived and he waited until everyone was there and he explained what had happened.

“He said there had been a chemical gas leak at the pool – it was chlorine gas. If anyone had any symptoms or had been to the pool then they were told to let them know so they could start treatment.

“Around 10 paramedics started going around everyone and asking ‘have you been at the pool’?

“People were asked if they had symptoms – streaky eyes, shortness of breath. He said it could develop over the next couple of days and anyone who did get symptoms was to phone NHS 24 and go through triage.”

Wedding and sweet sixteen guests evacuated from scots hotel after chemical leak
There was a chemical gas leak at the pool

A separate area was set up for anyone who needed treatment.

It is understood the reception area to the leisure centre area is still locked down, with no one allowed to enter.

A spokesperson for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “We were called at 7.30pm on Sunday September 26 to assist as part of a multi-agency response to incident at a hotel on Grange Road, Polmont.

“Operations control mobilised two appliances and a specialist response to the scene where crews remain in attendance.”

Police Scotland confirmed they were in attendance and numerous ambulances, as well as minibus response units were photographed at the scene.

It is not known if anyone has been taken to hospital.

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.




Source link

Back to top button