I guess Diesel Donnie is going to have to try and save the Mets offense now. The team decided to fire hitting coach Chili Davis Monday, days after this phantom approach coach became the talk of the town. The Mets offense did not do Davis any favors through the first 23 games, leading to his early departure. Was that the right decision?
To answer that, discuss splitting four games with the Cardinals and where the Mets stand, we bring you a new episode of the “Amazin’ But True” Podcast with Nelson Figueroa and me, featuring Mama Brown and Mets legend Howard Johnson.
Amazin’ But True Podcast with Jake & Figgie:
- CHILI DAVIS FIRING: Was it the right move? Who is more to blame? Figgie is tired of the entire Donnie Stevenson situation and the disrespect for Davis. Francisco Lindor finally ended his 0-for-26 hitless streak. This team has to get runners in, they are leaving too many guys on base.
- TAIJUAN WALKER/BULLPEN: Walker was fantastic Thursday and is pitching like an ace. He has been a saving grace with Carlos Carrasco now going to be out until June. Trevor May has been dominant. The bullpen has been terrific. The pitching has been a sigh of relief for them.
- MAMA BROWN STOPS BY: My mom sits next to me for the show from the house in South Carolina. She talks about Lincoln High School memories with Lee Mazzilli, meeting her eventual husband when Howie Rose called to ask for a date in the early ’80s and where all the Bar Mitzvah money went.
Howard Johnson Interview:
1986 World Series champion, Mets infielder/outfielder (1985-1993), 2-time Silver Slugger Award winner, former Mets hitting coach
- HITTING COACH: What does a hitting coach do? Taking us through the day-to-day, the numbers and the role of a major league hitting coach.
- CHILI DAVIS REACTION: He is a tremendous coach and person. He may have took wrong approach with Lindor, which has been trying to hit the long ball. Needs to adjust swing like a golfer does. What advice would he have for Lindor?
- COACHING JASON BAY: He had a hard time on the field and Citi Field was like the Grand Canyon then. He wore it on his sleeve and home run numbers were down.
Catch up on all episodes of “Amazin’ But True,” a New York Mets podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Jake Brown on Twitter and Instagram @JakeBrownRadio and Nelson Figueroa @FiggieNY. New episodes are every Monday and Thursday.
Business News Governmental News Finance News
Need Your Help Today. Your $1 can change life.