Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson is facing allegations of sexual misconduct from 22 different women. NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent addressed the situation during an appearance on Fox Sports Radio on Saturday.
Per the New York Post, Vincent said:
“I’m just praying for the young man, personally, today. I’m praying for him and his family. I’m praying for the young ladies that have come out. This is not good for anybody, forget the sport.
“But I think we’ve learned that every situation’s different. They’re delicate. You make sure that folks, whether it’s the accuser, the victim, whoever it may be, that there’s a due process in place. And I think we’ve learned that over time, not that we’ve rushed in the past, but I think we’ve learned from the different cases that we’ve seen with this particular subject matter, let the due process take care of itself, then that’s up to Lisa [Friel, NFL special counsel for investigations] and her team to now make the proper recommendations to what direction the commissioner and the commissioner’s office should take.”
It’s unclear how the NFL plans to handle the situation. Vincent did not say if Watson will be placed on the commissioner’s exempt list if the cases have not been settled by the time training camp begins.
Watson’s attorney released a statement last week saying that several women lied about their interactions with Watson, told others they wanted to get money out of him and deleted their social media.
Texans general manager Nick Caserio also said earlier this month that the team is “respectful of the legal process” and that he wouldn’t comment on the allegations against the three-time Pro Bowler.
Need Your Help Today. Your $1 can change life.