UK News

Man, 51, dies after family of paddle-boarders rescued from sea off Exbury

The incident happened in the New Forest, Hampshire, yesterday. Paramedics tried to save the man, but he was pronounced dead at Southampton General Hospital, police have said

RNLI crews rescued a family from the sea off Exbury in Hampshire

A 51-year-old man has died after a family of paddle-boarders was rescued from the sea off the south coast of England.

The victim was airlifted to hospital following the incident in Exbury in the New Forest, Hampshire, on Saturday afternoon.

He was pronounced dead at Southampton General Hospital despite efforts of paramedics to save him, according to police.

RNLI lifeboat crews from Cowes and Calshot also provided assistance to two teenagers and a woman.

A RNLI spokeswoman said: “RNLI lifeboats from Calshot and Cowes were launched following reports of a family in difficulty during a paddle-boarding incident on Lepe Beach.

“Calshot RNLI lifeboat D-class was paged at 2.10pm and the Atlantic 85 lifeboat was paged 2.38pm.

The family was paddle-boarding off Lepe Beach near Exbury (Stock photo)


Solent News & Photo Agency)

“The volunteer crew arrived to offer assistance to two teenagers and a lady. A fourth casualty was being airlifted to hospital when the lifeboat arrived.”

A Hampshire police spokeswoman said: “We were called to a report that a man was unconscious in the sea at Lepe Beach, Exbury.

“The 51-year-old man was transported to Southampton General Hospital but despite the best efforts of emergency services was pronounced dead.

“Enquiries are ongoing to determine the circumstances surrounding the man’s death.”

The 51-year-old was pronounced dead in hospital


Solent News & Photo Agency)

Last year, a holidaymaker died after falling from a paddleboard and getting tangled in moorings in an estuary.

The 42-year-old man was with at least one other person when they fell into the water near the sailing club at Rock Beach, close to Wadebridge in Cornwall.

The male, from Chelmsford, Essex, was pronounced dead at the scene amid a rescue operation.

There was a “flooding tide” in the Camel Estuary and the water was moving “quite quickly” as the pair came off their boards and got tangled in moorings, said James Instance of Falmouth Coastguard.

He said: “A couple of people had been out on paddleboards on the Camel Estuary with a flooding tide.

“With the water moving quite quickly, they had come off the boards and then got tangled in moorings in the area.

“That had caused a problem when they were unable to free themselves.”

Source link

Back to top button