UK News

Nicki Minaj pulls out of MTV VMAs and vows to ‘explain why another day’

NIcki Minaj has revealed she won’t be performing at the MTV Video Music Awards on Monday night at the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn, New York

Nicki Minaj has revealed that she has pulled out of her scheduled performance at the MTV Video Music Awards on September 13.

The superstar rapper hadn’t been formally unveiled as taking to the stage at the illustrious ceremony in New York, but she took to Twitter to say that she would explain why she had pulled out at a later date.

When asked by a fan, the Starships singer replied: “I just pulled out. I’ll explain why another day.”

The 38-year-old rapper went on to praise the VMAs producer Bruce Gilmer and promised that she would be back in attendance at next year’s ceremony.

She continued: “But I love those guys at MTV. thank you Bruce. I love you so much. Next year we there baby.”



Nicki Minaj has confirmed she won’t be performing at this year’s VMAs
(

Image:

Getty Images North America)




It had been reported last month that former Little Mix star Jesy Nelson was set to perform alongside Nicki in an electric display.

Jesy has hopes of cracking America and it was thought that she had enlisted the help of Nicki and the global platform the MTV Video Music Awards brings to help.

A source told The Sun at the time: “The MTV VMAs is one of the biggest nights in music, watched by millions around the world, so everyone is working hard to get Jesy a performance slot.

“Nothing has been locked in yet but talks are happening right now and if her team pulls it off, it will be huge.









“If she pulled off a killer performance, it would show that she is here to take the pop world by storm.

“Her label thinks the single will appeal to people in the US as it samples Bad Boy For Life by P Diddy and features Nicki, so putting her in front of those audiences will give her career there a huge boost.”

Nicki isn’t the first star to have pulled out of this year’s ceremony.

Last week, singer-songwriter Lorde announced she would not be appearing as planned at the ceremony which will take place in the early hours of Monday UK time at the Barclays Centre in Brooklyn.



Nicki Minaj at the 2018 VMAs ceremony
(

Image:

Getty Images)




The New Zealander confessed on Thursday that she was being safe and the “very necessary” Covid safety protocols were responsible.

She said: “It’s just that we were planning this insanely amazing many-bodied intimate dance performance, not fully understanding the (very necessary!) safety protocols that are in place, and the masking and distancing just meant it wasn’t gonna be what I dreamed, and you know I can’t make something less than outstanding for you guys. I hope you understand.”

The awards will still see an array of stars take to the stage come Monday night.

Those still confirmed to be performing include Camila Cabello, Doja Cat, Justin Bieber, Kacey Musgraves, Lil Nas X, Machine Gun Kelly, Shawn Mendes and Olivia Rodrigo.




Source link

Back to top button