UK News

Police officers headbutted and kicked in mass brawl at 50-strong wedding party

Police officers attended Teesside Bridge Social Club, in North Ormesby, Middlesbrough, after receiving reports of a wedding party guest being assaulted

Chantelle Smith was one of the wedding guests involved

Police officers were headbutted and kicked during a mass brawl at a wedding party, a court heard.

Violence erupted at Teesside Bridge Social Club, in North Ormesby, Middlesbrough, with the September 4 event attended by 50 guests.

Prosecutor Rachael Dodsworth told Teesside Magistrates Court attendee Chantelle Smith was pinned up against a wall outside the venue by a male sparking a 999 call.

However, Smith denied she had been attacked but is said to have gone on to swear at officers and kick one in the shin, reports TeessideLive.

Meanwhile, care worker Kieron Wilson, 19, got involved and tried to punch one of the officers before headbutting a second.

The bawl broke out at Teesside Bridge Social Club


evening gazette)

A third member of the wedding party, tractor driver Mark Weetman, 37 – the son-in law of one of the happy couple – decided to block police from entering the club.

The court heard how Smith, who smelled strongly of alcohol, kept walking away from officers, refused to speak to them and denied she had been attacked.

Officers attempted to arrest the man who’d been accused of assaulting her but Smith put her arm out, shouting “f***ing get off him”, said Ms Dodsworth.

Several members of the wedding party tried to remove her and she was shouting “f***ing get off me.”

Smith, of Longford Street, Middlesbrough, admitted being drunk and disorderly in a public place and assault by beating of an emergency worker.

The prosecutor said Wilson was arrested and later said in custody – referring to him headbutting an officer: “I’m sorry I don’t know why I did that.”

Kieron Wilson apologised in custody for his actions



The teenager, of Longford Street, Middlesbrough, admitted two counts of assault by beating of an emergency worker.

Father-of-four Weetman told officers to “get your f***ing hands off me” and tried to square up to the officer, as he tried to pass him to get into the club.

Weetman, of Cornhill Walk, Ormesby, Middlesbrough, admitted obstructing / resisting a constable in execution of duty.

Nick Woodhouse, defending Smith, said she couldn’t remember the incident at all but “clearly regrets it and is remorseful for it”.

Andrew McGee, defending Wilson, said he had told his employers of the charges and was of previous good character.

Adelle Hurne, defending Weetman, said her client admitted he “made a nuisance of himself”.

Mark Weetman tried to block officers entering the club



She added he supports his children and girlfriend who suffered a stroke in 2019.

Chair of the bench Norman Alderson told Smith: “It seems to be a very sorry sight this wedding.”

He said that the numerous assaults on police officers would not be taken lightly.

Smith was fined £200, ordered to pay £50 compensation to the officer as well as £85 court costs and a £34 victim surcharge.

Wilson was ordered to pay a £200 fine, £50 compensation to each officer, £85 court costs and a £34 victim surcharge.

Weetman was fined £346, ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £34 victim surcharge.

Source link

Back to top button