US News

Jealous thug jailed after stabbing girlfriend in woods at Wishaw park

A jealous brute who stabbed his girlfriend then used the knife to hack off her hair has been locked up for 18 months.

Jay McKnight turned violent during a walk with the 17-year-old in woods at Belhaven Park, Wishaw.

Hamilton Sheriff Court heard that he threatened to slit her throat if she didn’t stop screaming.

The Lanarkshire Live app is available to download now.

Get all the news from your area – as well as features, entertainment, sport and the latest on Lanarkshire’s recovery from the coronavirus pandemic – straight to your fingertips, 24/7.

The free download features the latest breaking news and exclusive stories, and allows you to customise your page to the sections that matter most to you.

Head to the App Store and never miss a beat in Lanarkshire – iOS Android

McKnight, 20, a prisoner, admitted assaulting the girl to her severe injury and permanent disfigurement on March 16 this year.

He was the subject of three separate bail orders at the time.

The court heard McKnight and the girl had gone for a walk in the woods.

Mairi-Clare McMillan, prosecuting, said: “At one point the accused cuddled her and rested his head against her.

“But his mood changed and he began to ask her about another male she had been speaking to recently.

“The girl felt uneasy and suggested going back to an open part of the park, but the accused then pulled a knife from his zipper top.

“His girlfriend shouted ‘No, please don’t’ and dropped to the ground.

“The accused then grabbed her by the hair and stabbed her repeatedly on the body.

“She began screaming and McKnight put his hand over her mouth and told her to shut up.

“He grabbed her by the hair again, pulled her on to her knees and held the knife at her throat.

“He threatened to slit her throat if she did not stop screaming.”

Ms McMillan said the girl begged McKnight to put the knife away, but he began to cut her hair with it.

He then let go and she ran away.

The prosecutor added: “She was aware of her arm bleeding and sat down, gasping for air.

“The accused arrived, sat down beside her and burst into tears.

“The girl was extremely upset and made her way to her grandparents’ house nearby. The police were then contacted.”

The victim was taken to hospital where a cut on her arm was glued and butterfly stitches were inserted in a wound on her back.

McKnight also needed hospital treatment after overdosing on painkillers.

Defence agent Alan Murray said the attack was triggered by McKnight’s abuse of alcohol and cocaine.

Mr Murray stated: “He has little or no recollection of the incident.

“HIs life was at a low point, but his eyes have been opened during his first period in custody.

“He has been brought to his senses and is getting assistance for his substance misuse.”

Sheriff Colin Dunipace said custody is avoided for young offenders where possible, but he told McKnight:

“This must have been a terrifying experience for the young woman.

“In these circumstances, and having regard to your previous convictions involving the use of a knuckleduster and a hammer, only custody is appropriate.”

The sentence was reduced from two years because of McKnight’s guilty plea and backdated as he has been in custody since March.

The sheriff also imposed a non-harassment order, banning him from any contact with the victim for five years.

**Don’t miss the latest headlines from around Lanarkshire. Sign up to our newsletters here.

And did you know Lanarkshire Live is on Facebook? Head on over and give us a like and share!

Source link

Back to top button