US News

Man jumped from window after pal threatened to ‘slice him up’ with kitchen knife

A frightened man jumped 12ft from an open first-floor window after a furious knife-wielding friend chased and cornered him.

The victim was afraid he had nowhere else to go after the attacker threatened to “slice him up” and warned him that it would be the last room that he ever saw.

Hull Crown Court heard how the man suffered “nasty” injuries, including a fractured pelvis, as a result of landing badly on the ground below, as reported by Hull Live.

Richard Frost, aged 38 from Hull, admitted to causing grievous bodily harm on May 30.

Prosecutor Richard Butters said that Frost and the other man had known each other for about a year and Frost was previously “always okay” with him.

They were “sitting and chilling” at Frost’s home and both had been taking drugs. Frost had drunk cans of lager and injected heroin.

He started drinking a bottle of gin and his behaviour began to change.

“He was threatening, he was shouting, he was becoming very aggressive,” said Mr Butters.

“The threats kept on coming. He would slice him up and stab him and was going to slash him up.”

Frost told the man that this room would be the last one that he would ever see.

He grabbed a six-inch-long kitchen knife, continued to make threats and started to come at the man with the knife.

Frost chased him around the room and the man managed to jump over a sofa.

“He honestly thought that he was going to die,” said Mr Butters.

“The complainant felt at the time that he had nowhere else to go. The living room window was open.

Hull Crown Court

“It was a first-floor window about 12ft from the floor.

“The complainant jumped out of the window and, as a consequence of jumping out of the window and falling rather badly onto the road below, he sustained injury.”

He telephoned the police and was extremely distressed. He had a CT scan at hospital and suffered a fractured pelvis and base of his spine.

“The complainant was agitated and would not consent to any formal examination,” said Mr Butters.

It was a “nasty injury” but it did not need an operation, just modified weight bearing for six weeks.

Frost had convictions for 30 previous offences, including assaulting police in 2005 and possessing a knife in 2016.

Mark Savage, mitigating, said that Frost was not normally a malicious or violent man.

“He has fought the demons of alcohol and drugs for many, many years,” said Mr Savage.

Frost’s methadone had been stolen and that was a trigger for his anger.

“The complainant was agitated and uncooperative at hospital and was rude and abusive to medical staff,” claimed Mr Savage.

“This is a violent offence. He realises that at some point he deals with the demons that brought him before court or his life will end and not in a nice way.”

A big factor in his life was his dog.

“Some will say that it is only a dog,” said Mr Savage.

“It is an anchor of stability that he has used for some time. He is only too aware of how tough the road ahead will be.”

Recorder Gavin Doig told Frost: “You threatened him with a knife, you said you were going to slash him and chop him up.

“You told him that the room you were both in would be the last one that he would ever see. He described, quite frankly, a terrifying incident.

“He felt he had no option but to jump from a first-floor window. He hit the floor and injured himself.

“A highly dangerous weapon was used by you during the course of the incident.

“This was a prolonged assault by you and you chased him and cornered him. Ultimately, you caused him to jump from a window.”

Frost was given a two-year suspended prison sentence, six months’ drug treatment, 15 days’ rehabilitation and a thinking skills programme.

Don’t miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond – Sign up to our daily newsletter here.

Source link

Back to top button