GP patients keen to receive a third covid jab have been turned away from a vaccination centre after turning up without appointments.
But that led to some double-jabbed patients arriving at Sutton Town Hall on Monday, September 6, despite no arrangements having yet been made for them to receive a third coronavirus vaccine.
The demand prompted the Practice to issue a statement. It said: “We have been made aware that patients have been arriving at the Royal Sutton Coldfield Town Hall this morning asking for their third dose Covid-19 Booster Vaccine.
“We are still awaiting further guidance regarding the booster vaccine and we will be contacting you directly when it is your time to be booked in for this.
“There are no walk-in clinics currently set up and you will be provided with an appointment once the booster vaccines are available.
“Please do not attend the Sutton Town Hall for this booster vaccine until you have been given a designated appointment. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.”
The Practice said previously that extra jabs would be given in two stages from September 6.
The highest priority will be the immunosuppressed aged 16-and-over, those in care homes, 70 and overs, 16 and overs who are clinically extremely vulnerable and front line health and social care workers.
Stage two will include the 50 and overs, then 16-to-49s eligible for the annual flu jab and adults who live with those immunosuppressed.
But it stressed anyone in those categories would be contacted with an appointment and it was not a walk-in service.
In any event the Government’s advisers, the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, has yet to yet to reach a final decision on the programme and the booster programme has not yet been confirmed.
The Government is currently considering whether to vaccinate healthy 12 to 15-year-olds, having already given the go-ahead for everyone aged 16-and-over to have their first two Covid jabs.
The JCVI did not recommend 12 to 15s should have the jabs based on health reasons alone, but the Government may give the go-ahead to reduce disruption in secondary schools.
While you’re here, get the very latest news from the area with our Sutton Coldfield email updates