US News

Villa told to pursue Man United transfer as Chelsea sweat on injuries

Welcome to your morning round-up of all the latest Aston Villa news on Wednesday, September 8, 2021.

Villa are back in Premier League action this weekend as Dean Smith’s men make the trip down to Stamford Bridge to face reigning European Champions, Chelsea.

Villa will have to contend without the unavailable Emiliano Martinez and Emiliano Buendia, while Smith also has several injury problems to worry about too.

Get up to speed with all the latest from the Villa Park here…

Purslow slams international controversy

Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow has waded in on the Brazil vs Argentina controversy.

Brazilian health officials stormed the pitch during the World Cup qualifier between the two countries in Sao Paulo on Sunday night after the game had kicked off.

They wanted to stop the match because of allegations that Argentina’s four Premier League-based players had broken regulations with regards to entering Brazil in accordance with coronavirus restrictions.

Two of the Argentina quartet are Villa players, Emiliano Buendia and Emiliano Martinez, with the pair thought to have left Brazil for Europe and will re-join their club side in due course.

More HERE.

READ MORE: Aston Villa and Tottenham ‘preparing’ £25m January transfer

READ MORE: ‘Backbone’ – Simon Jordan makes Aston Villa claim as international row continues

Police release statement over Brazil vs Argentina controversy

Brazilian police have confirmed they are investigating how Aston Villa pair Emiliano Martinez and Emiliano Buendia, plus Tottenham duo Giovani Lo Celso and Cristian Romero, arrived in Brazil ahead of Sunday’s abandoned World Cup qualifier.

The Premier League quartet were at the centre of the drama on Sunday as Brazilian health officials stormed the pitch in Sao Paulo less than 10 minutes into the game.

It is alleged that the four breached Covid-19 protocols when they entered the country and police have now confirmed the matter is being investigated.

“We opened the establishment of a process to investigate the possible crime of ideological falsehood,” the Federal Police told Brazilian outlet EFE, via Sport Witness.

Full story here

READ MORE: ‘Some players’ – Aston Villa fans respond as shock Atletico Madrid transfer link emerges

READ MORE: Five players who could leave Aston Villa to raise millions for transfer budget

Villa told to ‘go all out’ to land Lingard

Jesse Lingard has reportedly rejected a new contract at Manchester United amid a lack of first-team action at Old Trafford.

Lingard was heavily linked with Aston Villa earlier this year but opted to join West Ham where he enjoyed a stunning run of form with nine goals and four assists.

The England international’s deal is set to expire next summer making him a lucrative free transfer that would attract a number of Premier League clubs.

And Villa sporting director Johan Lange and boss Dean Smith could be tempted in a cut-price deal in January or wait to sign him for nothing once the season finishes.

ESPN claims that Lingard is determined to find regular first-team football having fallen down the pecking order under boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

And while the United chief remains a fan, the Red Devils have significantly strengthened their squad in attacking areas further restricting Lingard’s chances of regular football.

Read more HERE.

Chelsea warned of Villa threat

Chelsea legend Pat Nevin has warned his old side to be on their guard against Aston Villa.

Villa travel to Stamford Bridge for a Premier League clash on Saturday (5.30pm) hoping to end the Blues’ unbeaten start to the season.

Chelsea have won their opening two matches and drew 1-1 with Liverpool last time out having had Reece James sent off for handball before half-time.

Villa, meanwhile, lost their first game of the campaign at Watford but have since beaten Newcastle United and drew with Brentford at Villa Park in their most recent game.

Dean Smith ‘s Villa are adjusting after a summer of upheaval with five new players coming in and Jack Grealish departing for Manchester City for a British record transfer fee of £100million.

Full story here

Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku could miss the Premier League clash with Aston Villa this weekend

Chelsea sweating on player fitness

Premier League football returns at the weekend with Aston Villa travelling to Chelsea.

Villa will be given a workout by the reigning European champions who have started the season unbeaten.

Chelsea comfortably beat Crystal Palace and Arsenal before drawing with Liverpool last time out, despite playing with 10 men for the second half.

Right-back Reece James was sent off for handball against Liverpool and will serve a one-match suspension, ruling him out of the Villa game at Stamford Bridge on Saturday (5.30pm).

Meanwhile, Thomas Tuchel could be without Kai Havertz, who scored the winner against Manchester City in the Champions League final last season, Romelu Lukaku and N’Golo Kante.

Full story here

Make sure you get your fix of all things Aston Villa delivered straight to your inbox everyday by signing up to our newsletter here.




Source link

Back to top button